It’s been a year since I married the love of my life
Yes, our wedding date is October 7th, but our marriage date is September 18th. My husband and I eloped on this day a year ago in an Arlington Court House. It was special and romantic, we were the only two that knew for a couple days. We came home and spent that afternoon in our empty apartment putting together some furniture we had gotten that weekend.
Keep in mind we got engaged in July and Married in October. We had three months to plan our wedding! One of Jon’s friends who is also in the military was going to ordain our ceremony, but he was unable to last minute. We were kind of panicking since we were getting married in one state and were going to be living in another. If any of you know someone in the military you know it’s very unpredictable. You don’t get to pick and choose what you want to do, when you want to do it. We literally bought our honeymoon hotel and plane tickets not knowing if we were going to be able to actually go or not. We found out about a week before we were supposed to leave that it got approved! Another main reason we decided to elope and become legally husband and wife is because we both are a bit old fashion in the sense that we didn’t want to sign a lease without being married first.
“I’m so lucky I get to marry you twice.”
The night of our wedding before my husband left to go be with his groomsmen and I went with my bridesmaids, he told me, “I’m so lucky I get to marry you twice.” So our marriage anniversary is special to us, because we celebrated the most important decision of our lives, just the two of us. Then a few weeks later we got to celebrate our love and commitment with all of friends and loved ones!
- We knew each other for four years before dating.
- We married when I was 23 and he was 20. I’m lucky enough to have found my person young, it only means we get longer together.
- He is three years younger than me, yet everyone will card me but not him!
- A lot of you message me about not knowing Bo (my son) isn’t biologically my husband’s. But my husband introduces Bo as his son to everyone, treats him like his own, and loves him so unconditionally. Bo has known my husband for his whole life and we married before his second birthday. My husband is also “dad” to him.
- My husband is in the Army, he is coming up on three years in the service!
- We have a baby in heaven and a baby girl due in December.
- Jesus is our foundation, we both have our faith in Christ that we brought into our marriage.
- I secretly love when he plays Fortnite. When he wins I feel super proud, ha! So I’ll watch him play for “good luck.”
- My husband cannot cook to save his life, when we were dating he called me to ask me how to make grilled cheese. So needless to say, I do the cooking.
- He brings me home flowers randomly, my hubby is a hopeless romantic. One of the many reasons I fell in love with him.
- The first few months of marriage were hard. We had done long distance our whole relationship so jumping from seeing each other twice a month to every day was a bit of an adjustment for us. But we’ve done really well with learning how to communicate and figuring out balancing time together and time to ourselves.
Some Pictures from our First Year of Marriage
Our first picture as husband and wife! Self-timer on an iPhone. 😂🙈
Putting together furniture at 2 am in our new apartment.
Picking out our first Christmas tree.
First snow fall!! ❄️
Exploding D.C. in the snow.
Christmas in Vermont!
We got our dog Zeus!
First Easter! 🐣
My birthday, getting smoothies together at Smoothie King!
The day we found out we were pregnant again. ❤️
Being silly, like usual. 😂
Mother’s Day, spent with both my babies. We were pregnant and weren’t telling people yet! 💗
Oh, the selfies I find on my phone… 😂😂
Fourth of July! Jon had CQ so we went to base and watch the fireworks with him. 🇺🇸
Announced our pregnancy!
What I come back to almost every Saturday morning after the gym. 😍😍
Found out we were having a baby girl. 💕🎀
Went to the Army Ball with my handsome soldier. 😍
Had movie nights!
Date nights when Bo is in Vermont!
Had the best year as a family of 3. 💛