Happy love month everyone, I can’t believe it’s already February! Valentine’s Day is next week, if you’re a last minute planner like I am hopefully this post is helpful.
So this post is focused on couples who are in a committed relationship. I’ve shared a few ideas for long distance gifts, great gifts for marriage (not just for on Valentine’s Day), and a few fun facts about my hubby and I!
Three Year Question & Answer Book for Two people
First gift idea for you and your spouse or significant other is this Question and Answer Book! (under $20) My Uncle actually got this for us as a gift on Christmas and we LOVE it. It helps us spend quality time together, even if it’s just for 10 minutes out of our busy days. It’s meant to be done every day over the course of three years. We are pretty good about keeping up with it daily, but obviously life gets in the way and some days you write answers to three days instead of just one.
A few example questions from the book;
“When’s the last time your partner made you laugh out loud?”
“If I had to describe you in a single word, it would be . .”
“I wouldn’t have known anything about . if it wasn’t for you.”
“Jot down the last text your partner sent to you.”
“What is your partner struggling with?”
As you can see there are more light hearted questions and then there are serious questions. Jon and I go back and read each others answers and it either will spark a memory that we both laugh about or start a conversation.
Saving Your Marriage Before It Starts Book
I have another book that is geared towards the couple who is talking or thinking about marriage, Saving Your Marriage Before It Starts. (Under $20) This can be read before or after marriage!! Jon and I have found this book eyeopening. How many times do you look at your partner and get frustrated or feel rejection because they didn’t have the same expectation you had? That’s called your own “Unspoken Rules.” Your partner was raised a different way, has a totally different thought process and personality. Jon and I have been learning and focusing on explaining to each other exactly what we are feeling. It keeps you and your partner from feeling the “aw, he/she didn’t do that, now I’m upset and hurt” moments in your relationship. Honestly before the book flat out told us we both had unspoken rules, we didn’t even realize we had them! Example, one persona may have grown up with the rule “the cook doesn’t do dishes” so they went into marriage expecting that their husband would help with dishes. So say the other person grew up with one person cooks AND cleans, it will seem like a let down for both people because the other person didn’t follow the same “rule.” Marriage is all about communication. To live in and run a healthy household side by side with another person, you need healthy COMMUNICATION. And please let me tell you, our marriage is SO far from perfect. Jon and I are human, we are young, and we are learning. BUT we love our Lord and we love each other.
SOME FUN FACTS ABOUT JON AND I.
- Jon likes girly drinks. When we go out to eat sometimes he’ll have me order a Shirley Temple and he’ll order whatever I want. Then once our drinks come, we switch! HA!
- We both have rose gold rings. Jon wanted ours to match. So I got his in rose gold to match my engagement ring and wedding band. I actually found this really romantic. Strangers will comment about how sweet it is that Jon wanted Rose Gold too.
- Jon will never admit this, but he has a REALLY good singing voice. Whenever we are singing in the car, I’ll stop and secretly listen to him.
- We have a deep obsession with sweetheart candies, our favorite is the yellow. We always fight and try pick out the yellows before the other person!
- I love asking Jon to braid my hair, and he actually CAN braid hair. (He also gives the BEST foot rubs.)
- I kept all of my plane tickets, our movie stubs, special restaurant recipes, ice skating stickers, or anything that held a special memory for us and made it into a scrapbook for Jon. (Great anniversary gift idea!)
- I knew Jon was “the one” after our first weekend together. I even have the journal entry I wrote, only three weeks into dating, saying I was already falling in love with him.
- Jon wore one of my black hair ties on his wrist every day until the day we said “I do.” We even still have the hair tie!! I put it in our scrapbook.
- The only sport we like and follow is baseball. Our favorite team, the New York Yankees. (I am SO thankful that Jon doesn’t like watching football!)
Long Distance Gift Ideas
Last year on Valentine’s Day we were dating long distance. Sadly we didn’t get to celebrate on the day of. But that weekend I was able to fly to D.C. and we celebrated, it was one of our favorite visits. One of my gifts to him was a jar of “kisses.”
It’s so easy to make and super cute!
Buy a jar & fill it with chocolate Hershey kisses. Then pick out a few of your favorite lip colors and kiss some paper! HA! Then cut out your kisses and place them around the inside of the jar. I then wrote this on little piece of paper and put it on top so he would see it when he opened the jar,”A Jar of Kisses red& Sweet for the days our Lips cannot meet.”
To this day Jon has one of my cut out kisses in his wallet. And if he’s in the field he puts one in his uniform chest pocket, to keep me by his heart. I know, super romantic right? When he told me that I just about melted!
So if you’re in a long distance or military relationship, giving your sweetheart a few kisses would be a perfect and meaningful gift. Jon also got me a stuffed animal last year. I got to name my stuffed giraffe, Hank, and slept with him every night Jon and I were apart. Stuffed animals may sound cheesy and “lame” but it was a simple way to make me feel closer to Jon when we were apart. Now Hank sleeps with Bo every night!
A totally cheesy gift that I’ve seen advertisements for is a “love book.” You can make it your own, include inside jokes, or reminders of sweet moments that you know will put a smile on your partners face! This would be a perfect long distance gift or if you have a spouse who travels often. I know that if Jon were to ever deploy I would make one for him.
Stay-in Valentine’s Day celebration!
For the couples who are parents and can’t get a sitter or who just prefers to stay in, plan a special night. My love language is quality time, so I’m all for the one on one time at home!
- Bath Bombs
- Bubble Bath
- Homemade Dinner
- Chocolate or Favorite Candy
We love candles, we have tons in every room of our home. Head over to TJ Maxx and pick out a bunch, they are super inexpensive and last for a while! We still have some of our candles from when we first moved in. Also, TJ Maxx has really inexpensive bubble bath and bath bombs! I get all of my bath products there.
Plan a romantic dinner! If you like Chinese food but don’t like that it’s so bad for you… I have the PERFECT recipe for you. (This recipe is also gluten-free. WIN WIN!)
Ingredients you’ll need:
- ½ cup honey
- 2 tbsp Gluten-Free Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 egg (whisked)
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (sliced into cubes)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red chili pepper (de-seeded & sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp green onions (diced)
Click the link above to get the full recipe and instructions. This recipe takes less than an hour!
I serve this chicken over rice and use broccoli as a side!
So. Yummy. (Both Bo and Jon approve!)
After dinner and a bath pick a movie you both have been wanting to see! Target has 2 for $8 Lindor Chocolates, special edition flavors. Grab a few bags of those and try some different flavors together while enjoying your movie. Give each other massages, or my personal favorite head rubs. I love when Jon plays with my hair. Keep those candles lit!
MOST LOVED SLIPPERS!
Last but certainly not least, I’ve had tons of people ask me about my most worn favorite pair of slippers! (Under $20) They can even go through the wash!!!
Another perfect gift would be His & Her slippers. Jon loves the slippers I got him for Christmas, he wears them everyday! (I found his at TJ Maxx.)
Wishing you and your love a Happy Valentine’s Day!